Sunday, July 13, 2008

3rd place Relay Team

Today was the 2nd annual Milton Man Triathlon. It is sponsored by our tri club. Yvonne, Karen and I signed up for the relay team. Karen doing the swim, Yvonne heading out on the bike and Me doing the run. It was Olympic distance.

I woke up this morning to thunderstorms and was concerned about this race. Yvonne picked me up at 5:45 and we headed out to the lake. Yvonne and I were all jittery about the event...but we all agreed that we were just going to have fun.

Karen got the wetsuit on and got in the water for the 1500 yard swim (which seems like a LONG distance to me)...she did great finished in about 34 minutes. AWESOME JOB!

Yvonne headed out on the bike and she kicked it in gear. Averaging a 17.8 minute mile for 24.7 miles. You Rock! While Yvonne was out on the bike a big black cloud came over the area and we were all hoping that the storm would hold off until after the race. I said that running in the rain was okay by me....HA. Famous last words.

I got the timing chip and started out on the road and the downpour began. Oh my it rained. I just kept it slow and steady. For the first loop I averaged a 9:11 minute mile. I was thrilled. I slowed down just a touch on the second lap and finished the 6.2 in 54 something. That is my best time for a 10k. I am proud of myself. I had a good time.

We placed 3rd in the relay division...BUT the second place team finished in a photo finish with me....drat. I was so close. I thought I could do it.

So, first tri andI brought home hardware. Not too shabby.

2 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Great job!!! Yeah, I WAS at the MiltonMan this morning! That was a super fun race! I'm glad the rain held out until I was on the run course, though...at that point, it felt kinda good, but I'm sure I wouldn't have felt the same way if I was on my bike! ha ha

Tell your tri club it was a fantastic race! Now if I just lived closer...that was one heck of a drive. But worth it! :)

Tammie said...

Congratulations!