The End of an Era.
Well, as you, my friends know, my job was eliminated back in December. I am not bitter. I honestly, believe it was for the best. My patience had long gone with my director (pretty much since I began reporting to her). I miss some of my friends, but truthfully, I don't miss the unnecessary stress, the cattiness, the lack of control, the mismanagement of the department and the mis-control of the hub.
Today, the former cable company came and retrieved the cable boxes and remote controls. I feel a biyt sad, but I now don't have to see any commercials that I had control over and for that I am really happy. We switched to a dish and this far I like it.
I. am. free.
For those who don't know...I began work at this company in April, 2002. I remember being scared and thinking I would never understand. I quickly caught on and I liked it. I was good at it. I quickly moved from 'receptionist to sales assistant, I went back to school and received my degree - in organizational management with a concentration in communications. At that time my manager was in the office I was and while there were somethings that I didn't agree with (as all jobs) had me promoted to marketing assistant. I enjoyed it so much. I planned events for our clients single-handedly. Golf Outings/Steak Fry's, Spa Days, Day of the Young Reader, etc.
Then in May of 2005, there was a reorganization and I had a new director who was a total type A control freak. Nothing was good unless she did it. She had me doing things that my team didn't need and stop doing things that my team did benefit from as far as business was concerned. It made no sense to me. I was protected still in that my former manager was still there and he helped keep peace. Then in August he was transferred to another office far away. It was the beginning of the end. I saw it and just didn't do anything about it. We had a regime shift the new manager for my local office was positive clueless. He used the office as a napping place. My director kept telling me he was a good marketer. I couldn't figure out what she saw that I didn't. I tried. This man was positively clueless...nice but clueless. She wouldn't listen to my complaints of him not doing anything. I had to do his work if it was needed. It was awful. We also lost a few sales people. I tried to switch positions to relieve myself of the Director. I was given lines of bullshit and moved to marketing coordinator. Things still remained difficult with the Director.
I will always question her:
- ability to manage someone not in her direct office
- ability to understand how a small office operates
- ability to understand a smaller advertising areas needs
- ability to not be a control freak
- skill in management and creativity
- ability to see skill in anyone besides herself
- ability to appreciate other peoples views, skills and, ideas
I find it very interesting that from 2005 she was at the office I worked from exactly twice and once was when I was eliminated. Hmmm...Interesting.
I know this is long but it is my blog and I can blah, blah, blah if I want. I know I will find a job there they appreciate what I can offer, the creativity that I have, the ability to build relationships, and a place where I am respected.





1 comment:
I say good riddance. Apparently the company values incompetence. That doesn't seem to be your strong point.
2010 is going to be a great year. I insist.
Post a Comment