Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flying Pig Half Marathon 2010

Okay, I am trying to capture the moments of the day.

5:00am - alarm goes off I jump out of bed...lol.  I awakened to thunder lots of thunder.I decide on a skirt, short sleeved shirt, arm warmers.  Perfect choice.

5:30 we meet my dad in the lobby.  I ask hotel for a trash bag to wear to 'try' to keep dry.

6:00 - dropped off in fron of Paul Brown Stadium - head to the indoor potty and stand for just a little bit then make my way to the start line

6:20 - at start line.  RAINING HARD. Really wishing we could get started.  They announce that the first finished of the half marathon had completed the race.  A soldier in Iraq had already run the race.  God Love Him.  We had a prayer and the National Anthem.

6:30 - gun goes off.  I move nowhere for 6 minutes.

6:36 - I cross the starting pad.

Mile one took me freaking 15 minutes.  I was mad.  There were so many people and morons had just dropped their trash bags in the middle of the road. So if you stepped on them you slid.  Why couldn't they hit a trash can OR the side of the road.  Rain

Mile 2 beginning to find my way there was a bit of space .Rain

Mile 3 - in Kentucky.  Running pretty good rain coming down

Mile 4 - Rain...Running

Mile 5 in the downtown.  Running down Seventh Ave.  I ran past what used to be Shillitos.  Ahhhh.

Mile 6 heading past WCPO Channel 9 and heading up to Mount Adams

Mile 7 still climbing.  Rain has pretty much stopped - humidity out and present.

Mile 8 running out to the break off.  It was beginning to rain again

Mile 9 - no recollection

Mile 10 - DOWNHILL!!!!

Mile 11 - Still downhill!

Mile 12 back in the city running good.  Wish I had a couple of miles, I might have been able to catch some time - especially witht he downhills

Mile 13 - Only .1 to go.

I can see the finish line.  I am hauling a$$.  I feel good.  I hear them announce my name.  It was the first time EVER I heard my name at a finish.  I came over the finish swine.  I felt good.  I felt too fresh.  I wish I would have pushed it but with the rain there needed to be some caution.  I head through and get my medal...fruit, yogurt, bagel, water.  I meet up with Jeff and my dad and we walk to the car.

Overall, It was a great race.  I was so happy so see so many specators.  The cheering was fabulous!  The rain sucked...but no blisters, no chafing.  A success in my mind!!!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Congrats on winning another race. I am so proud of you!