Thursday, September 23, 2010

The pool

I canceled my Y membership about a year ago.  I rejoined Tuesday afternoon.  I decided Wednesday morning that I needed to go to the pool.  I pulled my swimsuit on, found my goggles and swim cap.

I drove over to the Y and went in - I was so nervous.  Would I remember how to swim?  Would someone laugh at me?

I got in the locker room and passed through to the pool area.  I walked over to the lap pool.  There was an open lap.  I jumped in and pulled my goggles on.  I pushed off and then I just swam.  Thinking rotation, breathe, slice the water, pull.  I was doing it!  I wasn't fast.  I wasn't trying to be.  I just wanted to get in and swim.  I will worry about technique soon enough and speed too.  For now I just want to get omfortable with the pool.  The swim.  I want to embrace the water.  I took the first step.

No comments: