Sunday, October 24, 2010

Peace Race 2010

I have done the Peace Race several years now.  It is sort of like a rite of passage for fall.  It is a gorgeous race that takes you through 'the hood of Youngstown' into fabulous Mill Creek Park and finishes is Downtown Youngstown.  It is a 10k.

This year was special for me as I will move up an age group next year and I wanted to do a good job.  I WANTED to finish in an hour.  As I currently have planned I am not planning to do another race until 2011, so this is my swan song so to speak.

Meghan and I signed up for the race Friday afternoon.  Nice to walk into Second Sole and feel at home.  My number was 1012.  We got our race packets and t-shirts.  Her two girls wanted to do the Kids Fun Run. They are 4 and 1.  So cute. 

Yesterday was pretty low key, I spent most of the day working on my Bible Study and reading a new blog.  I did go to the Y for a swim.  2200 yards.  Go me!

Last night I had two glasses of wine and pizza for dinner.  Great pre-race carbs!

This morning I had set my alarm for 7:30, I knew I would be awake sooner.  I got up about 7 and took the pups out and got some coffee and Cheerios.  At about 8:15, I got dressed.  Running skirt, Cinci half marathon shirt, Running sleeves, socks and shoes.  after I came downstaris and got my water and race belt ready I felt an urge to change into my pink Tommy shirt.  I wasn't sure if I should or not but Jeff said I would feel better if I changed.  So I did and I instantly felt better.  Definitely the right decision.

We drove downtown and parked and watched the kiddos do the fun run...cute but lots of kids, pushing.  After the race Meghan and I went to hit the potty and then hit the bus to the start line.  We had to climb a hill and I mean A. Hill. to get in line for the bus. 

We got off the bus and went into the school to find a potty...climbed to the 3rd floor and found a very short line...AHHHHH.  Then we headed to the start.  Once at the start we stood chatting with Janet, Cindy and Patty.  All of a sudden the horn went off and that was the start...no prayer, no singing no last minute notes...just a horn.  Off we went.

Mile one:  Very quick predominately downhill I think my time was 8:something.  I felt good strong.
Mile two: another quick one.  Time was 17:something.  Thinking to myself that I really needed to slow down.  I can't hold this pace
Mile three:  27:something.  Really, Michelle...S-L-O-W D-O-W-N.  This first water stop was at the 3.1 point.
Mile four: 38:something...beginning to feel the fact that I was running too fast. Trying to get at a ten minute mile and stay there.
Mile five: no clue what my time was, but I am feeling good and hot and was really wishing this would be DONE!
Mile six: I can see the freaking finish line...I am so close to the 1 hour point...I push it..I mean push it to finish in the under an hour.
Mile six.two: OMG...would like to just sit down.  My time crossing was 1:00 my chip time should say 59:50.  So I finished in under an hour...My Goal.

Jeff and I came home...I showered, took a nap, went to the grocery store, did two loads of laundry cooked dinner and am not pretty much ready for bed!

A wonderful day!

No comments: