Butler YMCA Triathlon
So after getting 5 hours of sleep, I drug my aching feet out of bed and got ready to go to the Triathlon in Butler,PA. We got there SO early and everyone got their bikes set up and everything ready for transitions. After several trips to the potty for me(real bathrooms a major plus), I made my way down to the beach to watch the swim transition. The men 44 and under went first. WOW! They looked like a sea of orange swim caps. There was one man who was an unbelievable swimmer. He finished the 500 yard swim in about 5 minutes...that is when the women and the rest of the racers went off. Again there was another crowd of orange swim caps. I stood and patiently waited for the SVTC uniforms to start pouring out...and they did. Today was Cindy's first open water swim. I am so proud of her for overcoming the fear and getting it done. She was actually swimming and not doing the doggy paddle like some of the people. She looked great...nice and relaxed. So, after the swim is the bike and the message boards were going crazy discussing the bike and road bike v. tri bike...again I am not a biker...so I couldn't participate as I don't have any knowledge. The bike was a 7 mile course shorter by 3 miles as the course is very tough. It was amazing to see everyone coming in off the bike and getting ready for the run. They all looked so strong and happy. The run was short by a half mile so the times were a wee bit faster than expected, but I stood by the finish line and waited for the SVTC jerseys to come around the bend and I would start snapping pictures. It was an awesome day. Awards went to...Jim, Maggie, Corky, Yvonne, Margo, Moira, Marvin, Melanie and Justin...although I think I might be missing a couple.
It was so cool to have people as about the Steel Valley Triathlon Club. We are a 70 member club and support each other in all things. Everyone has been a beginner and needed help from someone. I know that this group of people pulled me in and they are the ones who have gotten me in the pool to learn how to swim...these are the people who have gotten me on a spinning bike. These are the people who allowed me to train with them and run my first marathon. This is an amazing group of people and I am so proud to say I am a part of them. I am proud to call them friends. Maybe I will even participate in my first triathlon...I am thinking next year YMCA in May is going to be my first!





No comments:
Post a Comment