Sunday, September 30, 2007

Akron Marathon




Akron Marathon
9.29.07

We met at 4:45am to drive over to Akron. It was a nice car ride. We discussed the strategy of the race. I was in a car with a 5 person relay team. We walked over to the starting point and used the potty (bleah) Then Cindy and I met up with our pace group. We signed up for a 5 hour which we both knew was a bit lofty...but we thought we would try it. The gun went off and 3 minutes later we crossed the starting mat, I got to slap hands with Bugs Bunny, Wylie E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, and the Road Runner. The first few miles were just getting our groove, running through downtown Akron. We crossed over the starting line again and then headed out to the towpath(park area). I was still feeling pretty good. There were people everywhere during the race. Our numbers had our names on them so it was nice to hear the yelling for us personally. We headed out to the towpath which after running on cement, this was lovely...it was crushed limestone and FLAT. Once through the towpath we heading on the start of H-I-L-L-S...these were long and gradual but never ending...sort of similar to the Pig...but not quite as steep. They call the one hill Heartrate Hill. It is a great name. I ended up walking it. This area was predominately neighborhoods, who had block parties...there were bands, and kids yelling, lots of ‘stuff’ to watch. There was an angel who gave me a new bottle of water. I was sick to death of the cups with 2 sips of water in them...I needed more...she gave me a whole bottle and it really helped me get through. We then ran through Stan Hywet Hall, I believe that the owner of Firestone tire built it and it was gorgeous. The grounds were all decorated for fall and nice and shady. Headed out of there and then began to head back to the city. At mile 25 I was beginning to have doubts, I pulled myself together and did a nice slow slog until mile 25.5, then I had enough energy to pull it out at the end. I came into the Canal Park and we ran around the warning track of the baseball field and then finished at the first base side. I was so excited that I finished in 5:17. My pace was 12:09. I got my certificate for a free pair of Brooks running shoes, and my medal. It has the Road Runner on it. I got home and showered had a few pieces of pizza and collapsed. It was a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michelle!

Way to go. You did awesome. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, girlfriend. I am so proud of you!

I am the Big Bad Wolf said...

One of these days I'll do that one. I can't believe it was yesterday! The Brooks shoes are a great bonus. I wear the Glycerin 5. Do you recommend the Akron Marathon? Congrats!

Tea said...

WOO HOOOOO!!! wow! That's awesome! Congrats! I'll be thinking of you while I'm out there pounding the pavement in a few weeks.

(btw-my husband bought me Ironman visors for my training. How can I NOT wear them? Afterall, I'm training for an IM, right?)