Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Dignity

Webster's dictionary defines Dignity as: the quality or state of being worthy, honored, or esteemed. I am choosing to define dignity as Tommy's family, especially his mom, Lucille.

Lucille, is one of my favorite people on this earth. She always has a smile and a hug. She is always putting others before herself. Some of my favorite memories are of Lucy...wine tasting at Mr. P's on Tuesday nights, having Lucy pick Jennifer and I up from school early (when I could convince my mom I 'HAD' to leave) , spending the night at Jennifer's house and Lucy chatting with us at the kitchen table. Spending time with Lucy was like going to Disney...always a celebration. She could make the mundane fun...she helped with homework...she made every day count then and still does. She is one of the most positive people that I know.

Through the past almost 33 years, Lucille, has taken such great care of Tommy. The past almost 11 months have been a true test of her patience and dignity. Each time I saw her she always had the same positive attitude..."let's make today count"...."let's celebrate what we have"....Lucy taught Tommy (and the rest of us) to live for the day and to celebrate each moment.

I can't imagine how her heart is breaking right now. I am praying that she is able to put her heart together, minus the piece that is missing and move on with Tommy in her heart and as her Angel. I know he is right there next to her. He always wanted to know where Mommy was....he needed her. I think he found his strength in her. I know that I find strength in her beauty, wisdom and dignity.

Lucy D, I love you dearly and my heart breaks for what you are going through. I have cards to mails out to everyone but I just can't seem to find words that define the feelings that I have from their family. I will get them to you eventually.

3 comments:

Tea said...

You said that you can't seem to find the right words, but you wrote this beautiful post that left me in tears.

Anonymous said...

Chelles - this is so beautiful. I will let my mom know. She loves you, too!

Tammie said...

What a beautiful post. I'm sure that Lucy knows down deep how you feel about her. Your love, friendship & support are among the many things that will help her get through this hard time.