Sunday, October 21, 2007

Run More 10/20/07

Yesterday was the 4th annual RunMore at Thomas More College. I was running with my friend, Candis. My dad, my Aunt Ellen, Uncle Greg and Billy were waling the race.

We got over to TMC at 8:30 and immediately met Candis. Then went and picked up race packets. After that the rest of my family began strolling in...we did our last minute potty breaks and got outside to line up. With little fanfare, the race began. I was running with Candis for about 1/2 mile and then broke away...she challenged me to see how fast I could run and then we would have our Going the Distance friends donate to Breast Cancer Research one dollar for every minute I finished before her...so off I went...I went a little slower I thought the first mile but did it in 9:48. I zipped past the water stops as I don't normally drink when I run 3 miles. At the turn around point I found a couple of people ahead of me and decided I was going to pass them before we finished. I saw Candis and cheered her on and then saw my family walking toward me. My dad yelled to me that I better hurry up and push it. I blew off his suggestion and continued running..the race is a very nice course, slight hills for the KY area and well organized. I was beginning to pass people running up the last hill. I made the last turn back onto TMC campus and pushed it. There were little girls running in front of me...I blew past them and into the finish chute...27:40....It isn't a PR (last year I did 27:18...but it was a flat course)...I can't believe I had an average time of 8:57. Candis was coming in and I ran her in the last .1. I am so proud of her for getting out and running. She was diagnosed with Prancer and is undergoing treatments. Her outlook is so positive and she is just so wonderful. We waited for my family to come in and lo and behold my dad and Billy were coming up behind me...they CHEATED in a 5k....leave it to my dad! He cheated his way to 11th place for the walker division.
I finished 6th female overall!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

6th overall?? That is awesome!!!