Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Race begins miles 20-26.2

We finally got out of AK and we heading down the turnaround at Osceola Parkway. I was scanning the crowds for my parents...I was prayingthey would be around soon. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it. My dad called me at mile 21 and said that they couldn't get over to where I was...I told them to just go to the finish. I was bummed. i needed to see faces I knew. I also really needed to get rid of all this 'stuff'....my water bottles were empty, I was out of GU...I didn't need my fuel belt, I just wanted it off me. It wasn't meant to be. I was still walking. I was trying to remember what was next in the race map...I was really wishing that I had another sponge to spray water all over me again...we headed to MGMoh I was so excited only 6.2 miles to go....we entered MGM and there was some shade...that felt wonderful. I was really having thoughts that there was no way I was going to be able to finish the race. My foot hurt SO badly. At each water stop I was drinking one cup and pouring the other one over me. MGM was very cool. We got to run throught he area where they make the costumes. The women sewing were waving at us...it was I think my favorite part of the race...besides the finish!
The yellow power ranger ran with me for a few minutes. I was really trying to run just because I wanted to end this agony. There weretons of people yelling again, since we were in the park and the park was open. Several people yelled..."Run For Tommy" It made me cry. It also made me suck up my pain and finish. Having the people yell was extremely helpful especially when having a bad run. It gives added encouragement. We ran through the Boardwalk and Yacht clubs and were FINALLY back at EPCOT. I wanted to get down on the ground and kiss it...only 1.2 miles to go. We entered Epcot at the United Kingdom. Which normally I would love but the smell was of fish and chips...YUCKO. We climbed the bridge to France...mile 25 - then Germany - then Norway - them Mexico - I can see the Golf Ball. Oh my I think I might make it. We leave the park and are out in the parking lot.

I am trying to run again as I am really DONE, DONE, DONE. I want my medal, I want to sit down. Oh My God the sign says Mile 26....2 miles to go.... I can see the finish. I take off. I see the finish sign. I hardly hear anything. I am just fixated on that sign. I am done. Where is my medal? They cut off my chip. Where is my medal? They give me the metal blanket. Where is my medal? ~ ah, there it is...the woman who put it around my neck says...."CONGRATULATIONS.....then she says...YOU DID IT FOR TOMMY. I started crying...I was crying that I was finally done. I was crying that Tommy wasn't physically there with me. I was crying because I was hurting. I think back to the last eleven months of Tommy's life and how they had to be...and how strong he was. His struggles made my 6:21:59 finish time seem like a drop in the bucket. The woman asks about Tommy. I tell her about him ~The SUPERHERO that he is and she gives me a big hug. Okay, I have my medal. I want my shoes off and I want to sit down. I think I might pass out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Tommy thinks you are a one of a kind superhero. He loved Disnay so much and I am sure he loved running with you! Luca loves his Mickey Mouse and took it over to show off at Aunt Re-re's house tonight. MM is now sitting in the Luca chair (with Ernie). You did great, especially with that GORGEOUS blister!

Anonymous said...

WOW! 2L you have NO idea how awed I am by your accomplishment. I am more proud of you than you can know.. you ROCK!

Now for some tissues cause you made me cry!

Blister is gynormous!! Glad it is better..