The Pig - The beginning
Janet met us in the hallway for the drive over to Paul Brown Stadium. We left the hotel at 5:10 and we were on our way. Janet and I were both nervous. All the last minute things keep coming into mind...Did I train enough, why am I doing this? am I wearing the right clothes? should I go to the bathroom again? where is the rest of the group? am i going to have to run alone?
We met up with Corky, Moira, Chris, Karen and Robin. I felt so much better then. We went down to the corrals to get lined up...Oh my....getting really nervous now...we are waiting at the start..it is 6:30 why isn't the race starting...we could hear someone trying to make announcements but we really couldn't hear...finally the word spreads back that there was a multiple alarm fire on Eastern Avenue. The start of the race will be delayed 15 minutes...more wait time...uggghhhhh.
Finally we heard the gun...high fives all around. We began walking, slowly and then speeding up...finally when we got to the start we were in a slow jog. Okay here we go....4 marathons in 54 weeks baby!
The race began by making our way over to the Taylor-Southgate Bridge to take us over to "The Blue Grass State" The crowd of 22,000 heading over the bridge, while looking to the East we could see the sun rising over the Ohio River. It was an amazing view. as we crossed over into Newport, my parent's were over on the right side, cheering for us. At that point I was running with Robin and Karen. . They stopped for water, I pushed through the crowd. We passed the largest Bell in the United States on the right hand size. At mile two, we crossed the bridge over the Licking River in Newport (I am not sure what the name of the bridge is) any way we has 2 miles down...whoooohoooo. We ran past the IRS building in Covington, the old buildings. My birth town. It was very emotional for me. I could see the steeples from Mother of God church and the Cathedral of Covington. Both bring such memories....We we just about out of Kentucky, we took the incline to the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge. We we saw the sign Welcoming us back to Ohio....many people began the O-H-I-O chant...it was sort of funny to hear the football chant at this type of sporting event. Three miles down 23.2 to go!!!! I was still feeling really good, I was trying to keep holding back. I thought of the race horses, the jockey hold them back until the last stretch. I thought of sweet Eight Belles from the Kentucky Derby she gave everything to the race, she truly left nothing behind.
We bagan the stretch through the city. There were tons of people cheering everyone on. At the stretch going down 7th Street. It was along this part where I saw Yvonne, Marty, Cindy, Glenn and even little Bodie. That was huge. Now we start to head out to Eden Park. I was running with Corky and i told her I thought I should be running slower...so I slowed down and let Corky go. This is 'the hill' of the marathon. It is a long, intense hill. It is my nemesis every year. I decided this year I was going to walk the hills and runn the downs. So I hunkered down and walked up that hill. It is such a pretty place the top of Eden Park. That is where the Conservatory is and it overlooks the river...simply a stunning view. We are now at Mile 8. Happy Moment. I was quickly approaching the Half Marathon Split. It was very strange for me not to veer to the Left. I kept running my race and keeping my head in the game. I was running a mile and dedicating it to different people. I now don't remember all the dedications, but that was my plan and at each mile marker I said a prayer for each of the persons.





1 comment:
So inspiring - I love that you dedicated a mile to different people in your life. So cool!
Post a Comment