My First Triathlon
I woke up this morning at 3:30 to let Tiger out...I knew I could sleep for another hour...I laid in bed and listened to The Weather Channel...HOT...HOT...more HOT. The alarm went off and I bounced out of bed and ggrabbed a cup of coffee. Then I headed to the bathroom to French Braid my hair. After my braids were finished I made my peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwich. It was yummy! I got dressed and headed to the Downtown Y. I was one of the first people there (imagine that). I got my bike and other items all ready and picked my spot in transition for my bike. I laid out my hot pink towel (thanks, Yvonne). I had all my items just so ont my towel and I went to race packet pick up and to get body marked. My race number was 134 and my swim was 1st heat, shallow pool lane 8, I wore a black swim cap. I went back and put my number on my race belt and chatted with other membersof the Tri Club. Everyone kept telling me I looked like I was going to throw up. I actually felt fine...I guess I looked scared. I went inside and went potty and checked out the pool water. It was 'really' warm...yuck. But what are you going to do.
SWIM
I made my way to lane 8 and met my lap counter who was a hoot. She made me feel very comfortable. I chatted with my lane partner. She was a seasoned triathlete but had just signed up last night. I had my swim cap on and the woman who was 'in charge' of the shallow pool lanes gave instructions. When she blew the whistle we go. I just wanted to get this done! The whistle sounded and we were off. I was breathing every stroke. I was trying to keep my head down and my butt up, but I know it wasn't. The swim wasn't pretty. But I got it done. I went over on my back a couple of times and regrouped and kept swimming. I think my swim time was about 13 minutes. I headed out to transition 1. The swim was over.
T1
I headed in transition and wiped my face put on my socks and running shoes slapped on some chapstick, put my helmet and sunglasses on and headed out to the bike course.
BIKE
I mounted my bike and tried to get my breathing back in check. I traveled down Commerce and made the turn onto Fifth Avenue. OH that hill. I switched the gears and found one to sustain the uphill. I was so happy to make the turn around and then it was downhill. I passed a couple of people I was happy abou that. I came into the Y and did the turn around...almost finished. I went back out and BOY that hill got steeper. I had to go over to the curb and get a drink of water. My heart rate was out of whack again. Must do more hill work. I got back going and did the turnaround and then downhill! I came into the Y area and was greeted by fans again.
T2
In T2, I just needed to grab my sunvisor, chapstick and gatorade. I got my bike racked and helmet off. and away I went.
RUN
I walked out of transition and decided to do 1:1 intervals. I had a horrbiel cramp on my right side. I kept trying to get rid of it...but it didn't want to go anywhere. I had to go back up that damn hill. I walked it - my heart rate was out of control again. i got up to the park and realized that I was just about finished. I switched to 2:1 intervals. The rest of the race was literally downhill. Ahhh, My first tri is almost over.
FINISH LINE
I could hear Yvonne and Karen yelling. i just couldn't wait to be done! I crossed the mat and wanted to collapse. I am so glad I finished. I am so glad I completed my first triathlon. I believe my time was 1:38.





4 comments:
You are amazing! Congratulations to you :-)
Great job! You go girl!
YOU ROCK!! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?!?! You're a triathlete now!!
I'm SO excited for you!!
Congratulations! I am so envious. I would love to be able to do that some day.
Tana
Post a Comment