Oh Did I Have Fun!
The alarm went off at 4:00am this morning, and I hit snooze...oh so early. At 4:09, I got outta bed and got a cup of coffee, went and French braided my hair and washed my face. Then I threw my clothes on, which I carefully laid out last night. I grabbed my water bottes out of the freezer and loaded them into my bag. Then I grabbed a 'to go' cup so I could have my coffee in the car and made a PB&J for later. Cindy picked my up at 4:45 and we headed to the Y to meet the rest of the crew. At the Y we pulled in and Cork's car was running and she was nowhere to be found...oh there she is by the pine trees...when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! Janet and Glenn pulled up next on their bikes and they loaded them on Corky's car. Donna pulled in next and we were ready to go...off to Berea...Once we made it to the Coyahoga Fairgrounds, we unloaded the bikes and out bags and walked them over to the area. We got our numbers (1910) and our shirts. We got the numbers on our bikes and our shirts...hit the potties, and then climbed on our bikes. There was no official stsrt time, but you needed to start by 8:30 am. I think we took off at 8...but I am unsure. The first rest stop was 12 miles in, we stopped for a few minutes and then were off again. Corky, Janet and Glenn were doing the century ride so they broke off not long after the first break. Cindy and I continued on for the 75 miler. The second rest stop was at mile 22.8, we got water and some grapes and took off again. Then the next thing we knew it was time for lunch at 10:30. We went into the school and ate sandwiches, pretzels and pasta salad washed down with gatorade. We hit the potties and took off by 11:00. OMG it is another rest area. This time, we got ice and fresh water which was so very nice. This was rest area #4 and 44.6 miles done! Cindy and I hit our bikes again and I guess now would be a good time to say that our average pace would be somewhere between 15-17 MPH. My cateye didn't work for a little while, so I was unable to get an actual pace. Seriously everytimeI looked down my speed was anywhere 15-24 mph. At Rest Area 5, I got a couple advil, and some more water. We were there for a few minutes and then took off. I was beginning to feel tight in my back. #5 was 55.7 miles in...I was feeling so strong and so happy. After lunch more of the race was hilly, but I hit every one. I did pop off my bike at one hill because, I didn't get the gear into Granny gear early enough. The next thing I knew I saw a sign that said 11 miles left. I couldn't believe it. Really, already? We hit rest stop 6 quickly and were ready to be done. We took off and I was counting down the miles. My lower back was really getting sore. If I don't know where my hip flexors were prior to this ride, I certainly know where they are now!!! We biked into the high school and we were so prouf of ourselves. We hopped off our bikes at 2:30pm, got our awards, water bottles and medal. We went and signed up for the bus back and went and changed, then got the SCHOOL BUS back to Cleveland. What a day, what a ride, I can't wait to do this next year. It was SO well organized. The volunteers were awesome. The course was cool...not too hilly...but a good ride. I am home and showered...I am watching the women's marathon at the Olympics and I hope to be in bed soon....






2 comments:
Sounds like a success! Congrats!
I don't know how you do this. You are obviously a very dedicated athlete!
I also watched the women's marathon and thought about you a lot last night :-)
Post a Comment