Akron Women's Only Triathlon
My alarm went off at 5:00am, I bounced out of bed and got a cup of coffee. I re-french braided my hair, brushed my teeth and got dressed. I let Tiger out, made my PB&J and grabbed my gym bag that I packed last night. I zipped over and got gas at pump 14 (yeah, I have issues...must get gas at Sheetz and must. have. pump. 14.). I got a decaf coffee for Jennifer and a high test for me. I went over and pick my friend up. She is such a great friend to get up and go over to Akron with me at that ungodly hour of the day. We got to the lake and parked. I went up and got in a short line to get my race packet, number, swim cap (green, Tommy's color - a good sign) shirt, and timing chip. We walked back to the car. I made a quick to the porta potty (I really hate those things). I got my bike out and and gym bag and headed to transition to get set up. I was assigned to Red, J. I took the last spot next to the fence. I figured I might have a bit more room. I put down my pink towel, with my helmet, my glasses, a small towel, my shoes, and socks as well as my sun visor. I covered with the garbage bag I carry in my bag (See I plan ahead) Next, I went to get body marked....Okay we still had an hour before the race....WTF am I going to do??? So, Jenn and I walked down to the water and took a look at where the swim was. Yeah, I was getting really nervous...We just bummed around and waited. I was thankful I was early as the lines for everything were getting long. There was a pre-race meeting that I could barely hear or understand where this guy was talking about...but I listened as best I could. We walked down the beach and I kicked of my crocs and handed Jennifer my t-shirt and walked over to the swim start. It was freezing and raining even harder than before. I was so nervous. I didn't care about the rain during swim or run...but I really don't care for biking in the rain. Oh well, gotta get over it.
The swim...It was a beach start which we had practiced with the club several times...I was cool until I realized that there was seaweed all over...YUCK. I was not putting my head back in that. I swam as quick as I could. 250 yards isn't very far...but in seaweed...it was gross. I headed out of the water and up the 'hill' and into transition 1.
T1
I dried my feet, put on my socks, and my running shoes (I don't wear clipless bike shoes yet), I grabbed my helmet and my glasses and headed out of T1.
The Bike...So off we went, the roads were wet and it was raining, so I started of very tentatively. After the first roundabout, I felt like I got my legs and I started my passing, ON THE LEFT...I must have yelled it 50 mines (no exaggeration)...this one idiot girl was riding really slow in the middle of the road...I kept saying ON YOUR LEFT and she wouldn't budge, there wasn't enough room to pass....so finally, I yelled....THIS IS A RACE, MOVE IT!...she moved over to her right so that I could pass. Geez, I understand supporting and cheering for everyone but come on...move your ass outta my way. I was averaging 15-25 on the bike. People were riding their brakes which annoyed my as well. It was a two loop course for 7 miles.
T2
I dropped my bike, helmet, and sunglasses off and started running.
The Run...it was a trail run which was fun. I grabbed water and started passing people. it was a two loop course for 2 miles...the second loop was the finish. I could see the clock which said 1:00:18...so since my heat started 2 minutes after the official time...I finished in under an hour!!!!
Jennifer and I loaded everything in my car and off we went. We stopped for breakfast/lunch at Cracker Barrel. I had 2 eggs/bacon and toast...Jenn had the chicken and dumplings..with sides of dumplings...and SHE IMPRESSED ME BY EATING ALL OF IT!!!!!!
It was a great day!!!!





2 comments:
Congratulations!
You were amazing! Especially given the conditions!
I don't want to see dumplings again for awhile..........
Post a Comment