My first 100 miler...or the ride that wasn't
Yvonne picked me up at 7:00 and we headed to the start. We got our shirt and map and they sent us on our way. Okay, so we pulled our bikes out and started out. We got lost within the first half mile of the ride. Not a good sign! We got back on track and headed the right track. The first 25 miles were pretty uneventful and pretty nice. It was fairly hilly and I was pretty mad as they said flat...ummmm...need to take to their marketing person. So at mile 26-ish, my shoelace got caught in the gears...next not good sign...(yeah, I know, I gotta get rid of the cages for my shoes)...so we continued on...we hit what they call 'The Wall' yeah, it is a HILL that goes straigh up, so I put my gear into granny and take all gear off, okay, I start up and pretty much make it...I did get off because my speed dropped to um yeah 3mph...got to the top and saw a nice down hill, so I wanted to get the gear into the middle ring and get some gear on...well I couldn't change gear...oh sh*t. What am I going to do? I have no mechanical ability...so one of the guys from the club helped me and tried everything to switch the gear with me on the bike...it wasn't budging...so we pull over and he pulls out some tools and we get my gear into middle ring. That will help but I still can't shift...now I didn't think I changed gears often...well when you can't do it you realize how often you do change gears...Dave helped push me up the next three hills (that was really nice)...I asked Yvonne if we could turn off to do the 62 miles, so we did. I was so done riding at this point...done I tell ya...A few minutes later we flagged down the SAG track and he made some modifications so I could use some gear only in middle ring...which did help...but the ride just sucked. I wanted to be DONE! We ate lunch and chatted with everyone...then back on the darn bike. I am so disappointed in myself, I wanted to do this ride, the full ride not the metric century...the CENTURY. Oh well. We finished. I have never been so glad to be off a bike (normally, I love the bike). Wildcat is loaded in my car and going first thing tomorrow and getting new pedal and getting a little maintenance. I will be one with the bike again.





1 comment:
you cannot be disappointed in yourself. seriously. the fact that you didn't do the full century is not because your body was not capable, it was totally mechanical failure on the part of your bike!! and you know i know EXACTLY how that is and it really sucks.
next time - you will do it. i have faith in you! just get wildcat fixed up and all will be good!
Post a Comment