Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lucille Rose 10.26.24-1.20.09

So, I have been a bit negligent on updating my blog. The days have all blended together. Thursday, Jan 15th my dad left with Nicholas to go to go down to see Grandma. She was not looking good. I decided to take Friday off and I was going to drive down. Well as luck would have it, school was closed due to the cold temps, so my mom was ble to go down too. We got to the hospital Friday about 4:30. I walked in the room and saw my Grandma attached to oxygen and gasping for air. I thought I was going to be sick. I felt very hot and my stomach was upset. Prior to our arrival, my gram at up in bed and told my dad she wanted to be cremated and then have her ashes buried in the cemetery and that I was to get her earrings. She repeated it to anyone who was in her room that night. We had 9 people in the ICU.They never told us to leave or be quiet. We were just there and talking to her. Saturday morning when I got over to the hospital, she was sitting in her chair and drinking coffee. Completely different from the night before. We all took turns sitting right next to her holding her hands. I was able to spend some great time talking to her. She seemed to be doing better. Because she had DNR orders they wanted to move her from ICU, since there really was nothing that they could do and they really needed the bed. Sunday morning when we got to the hospital she was sitting up and my dad was feeding her eggs, sausage, cantaloupe and coffee. It was unbelieveable. I was amazed by this change of events. She kept asking about a meeting on Monday. My dad was telling her that there was no meeting. My dad decided that sine she was asking that he would tell her that the siblings talked to hospice and there was to be a meeting on Monday. But she was doing so well, tha they really thought Hospice wasn't necessary. She told my dad she wanted to try to fight a little longer. By the time this was over, my great aunt Anne made it into town and wanted to sit with her. So we went to lunch, when we returned, somethng happened to Gram. The nephrologist came in and told my Aunt Anne that her kidneys had shut down and that the was in complete failure. He shut off the IV. That was our turning point. Apparently she was going to need dyalysis within a few hours and would need it for the rest of her life. Well this was not mentioned on the DNR. So we had to talk to Grandma again to see what she wanted. After hearng her options, she wanted to think about it. Well, when my uncle walked in the room she couldn't get the words out fast enough. She was ready for Hospice. So, my dad went out and told the nurse. She made a couple of calls and we were told that Hospice would be in touch between 5:30-6pm. At 6:30 we were told that the lady from Hospice couldn't make it over due to a death. But we could bring her over tonight. So at 8:00, Gram was moved to Hospice by ambulance. We all got there and once we got her checked in. My mom, Nicholas and I went back to the hotel. My grandma's last words to me were "Don't forget to feed the dogs." I got up Monday and went over to Hospice and brought coffee and breakfast. Apparently Grandma had a couple of episodes. They decided to keep her drugged so that she could rest and not be agitated. They could have kept her more alert but then she would probably have more episodes. So, Grandma was pretty looped up when I saw her. My mom decided that we needed to come back home so she could teach on Tuesday. I leaned over and said my goodbyes to her and asked her to please take care of Tiger for me. She smiled. We left the Greater Cinci area about 5:30, when we were more than half way there we got a call that she was much worse. We got home about 10:30pm. She was stillhanging in but her BP and HR was really low. I got up Tusday morning and called my dad for an update. Didn't get a response, so I got ready for work. Then at 7:30 I got a call from my dad. Grandma went to heaven at 6:30am on Tuesday morning. I worked on Tuesday and then we went back down on Wendesday morning. It has been a LONG Week.

3 comments:

Tammie said...

There are no words to express my sorrow for your loss. Please know that you & your family are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Michelle, We are both dealing with grief right now. Know that I am thinking about you.
Lots of hugs, my friend...

momo said...

oh, michelle, i'm so very sorry. my grandmother died in october and it just seems like the end of an era, doesn't it. the memories of her and what you have shared will live in your heart forever, i promise you. big hugs.