Third Time is a CHARM! - Cook Forest Half Marathon
This morning I went with Meghan to Cook Forest for the Half Marathon (13.1miles). It is a two hour drive.
We got there and registered. Then to the indoor facilities and back to the car. We got out of the car about 10:45 and started to the start line. It was warm in the sun but cold in the shade. We barely got to the start and it was time to go. Meghan took off. One of my goals was to start slow and for once I really feel like I did!
So miles one to three were pretty much uneventful. I was hitting a 9:10-9"40 pace. I was feeling good...strong. I skipped the first water break. I just ran middle of the road. Kept smiling and kept going.
Miles three-six and a half...Fabulous. I still felt great...stong...felt like I could run all day. I reached the turn around at 1:00...on the dot. Whoohoooo.
Okay, so I am feeling good I eat a couple of sharkies - the watermelon ones are super good. So I am thinking that mile 7 should be coming...I never see the mile marker...then I lost GPS signal...and it was a half mile off so I was really confused where I was. Seriously I thought it was about 10 miles to get to the 8 mile marker. During the time from 6.5-8 I ate the entire bag of sharkies. Cursed a few times....said many prayers...and just kept running.
Whew. Glad, that. part. is. over!
Miles 8-12...kept going. Nothing spectacular.
Now come the race. Mile 12 is a HILL and I mean HILL. My goal was to run he hill and then walk if necessary. Thankfully the ipod was prepared and had FAST, good songs ready for me now. SUPERGIRL (thanks, MOMO), Tommy's song - Where my Heart Will Take Me. and a little Neil Diamond followed by Sweet Home Alabama. I took off up that hill...Plugged along and I started passing people. I felt strong. I felt good no I felt fabulous. I hit the 13 mile marker and it felt like it was all down hill....I came across the finish line at 2:10. It is a personal best for me by 4 minutes (and the same race, 3 years ago!)
I finished abnd I felt like I could go a few more miles - glad I didn't need to but I felt good strong and HAPPY! I really feel like I have the power to finish the Flying Pig in 2 hours. I know that the screw up on miles 7-8 messed with my mind. I need to get more 10+ runs in between now and May 2nd. I am more excited now than ever!





No comments:
Post a Comment