Thursday, September 13, 2007

Another blow to my world

On Labor Day a very good friend of my mother's had a heart attack. Charlene had triple bypass surgery last Thursday and wasn't recovering as well as the doctors would have liked. Charlene passed away Wednesday, September 12 at 12:45 a.m. at the age of 57. Charlene was an only child. Her father died right before she was to begin eighth grade at Holy Cross in Latonia(where my dad went to school). Her mom died in 1994/1995. Charlene missed her mom severely and mentioned it often. We all said after her surgery if she had a dream about her mom she would be outta here. Charlene never married and had children; however, Char was a teacher for many years which is how she and my mom became friends.

Char always had a joke for the kids. She had the 'coolest' classroom. She gave all her students nicknames - mine naturally was 'Marshmallow' She and my brother Nicholas had a special relationship. She adored him and taught him all sorts of things she shouldn't have. When Nick was 2 she gave him a rocking horse which he named Charlie the horse...you know Charlie Horse...after Char.

For a second weekend I will be at a funeral home on a Friday evening and a funeral mass on Saturday. I will also be doing a reading. Really this isn't supposed to be a habit. I believe that this will be easier for me than last week; however, after the funeral mass we will be going to the grave site at Mother of God. MOG is where my Grandpa is buried. And, Char's parents are literally in the same row as Grandpa. That is what is going to be very tough for me.

Oh, by the way, my marathon is 16 days away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so special to so many people. I wish I could help you to feel better. I know that Charlene, like Tommy, is so glad to have you be part of the day. You are stronger than you realize, or may ever truly know. I will be thinking of you often and sending lots of love and hugs. Luca would like to see his aunt chelles soon. He gives some of the best hugs!

Tammie said...

I'm sorry to hear of yet another loss in your life Michelle. I know that G-d has given you a very special strength of heart so that you can deal with this.

Sending hugs your way.