Peace Race 10k
The morning was just perfect. I drove over to Yvonne's and met up with Cindy and we rode down to the Y. For some reason, I was nervous...not really sure what that was about but we made it downtown and did the usual potty stops and then took the little yellow bus to the start point. They herded us on this bus and then we stopped to wait for the 2 mile people. I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach but luckily we started moving. We got dropped off and we made it to the starting point. The gun apparently went off, although I really didn't hear it. We started down Indianola and made the turn onto Glenwood and then into Mill Creek Park. That was nice because it is part of my normal routine. My first mile was 9:38. I knew I would need to slow it down a bit so I would be able to finish. We continued in the park. We ran over Silver Bridge (Remember that bridge, Jen???). I was continuing at a nice pace...just right, I felt great, my breathing was good, my legs felt strong...I wasn't wearing a watch, so I wasn't constantly looking at my time. The next thing I knew it was the 3 mile water stop, I grabbed a cup and walked a couple of steps so I could get a few sips and started back on pace. I was feeling good so I picked it up a bit. Toward the end of the race this high school kid and I were neck and neck...we sprinted down to the finish line. I am a bit disappointed with my time of 1:00. I felt like I ran faster, but I am not hurting anywhere and when I finished I felt like I could run it again. I think I need to work on pushing myself harder. The sun was shining, the birds were out...it was a great race!





No comments:
Post a Comment