Friday, March 28, 2008

The Nanny Diaries

So, like an idiot, I thought I would spend my afternoon off watching a movie. So many choices ON DEMAND and I pick The Nanny Diaries. Why? Self-Destruction? I sat watching this movie in absolute tears. I know one person who reads my blog knows all the years I spent watching four precious kids. Their mother had other plans that included shopping, drinking and making herself a size 2. I am not really sure why she had children...and why four. This movie made me wonder if those kids ever wonder what happened to me. The terms of my leaving were not pleasant and it ended poorly. I haven't seen these kids in close to six years. Their second child was my favorite. I started watching him when he was three days old (what mother leaves a 3 day old to shop?) Baby M was born with special needs. He had club feet. He had plaster casts on his legs for months. This sweet baby had his first surgery at three months old. I can say after this long that I don't think about him on a daily basis, but I do think of him quite often. He was my lovey. When out in public people used to think he was mine..we looked somewhat alike.

The parents would leave me with their children especially the older two to the point where I bathed and tucked them into bed 5 of the 7 nights a week. Both boys took their first steps to me. We had such fun - I took them to the park, the library, story time at the bookstore, pre-school...you name it I took them out and we had a blast.

I was also the one who took them to dr appointments, held their head when they were sick, cleaned more skinned knees than I care to remember.

All these feelings came out while watching this movie...feeling that I thought were dealt with over 6 years ago. I am trying...it is just hard.

3 comments:

momo said...

you know, i'm sure there are lots of people out there like that, but after having my own - i barely let my husband take care of them the first few months, let alone leave them to go shopping or whatever.

i do work, so when my kids were a little older and it was time to go back to work, we did have a nanny to help out while i was at work and before they were old enough for school - but her day started when i left and finished when i came home. she was lovely, and both the kids and i missed her when she left, but it was time.

i'm sorry yours ended badly, but you were probably more of a mother to those four little ones than the one they were born to.

Anonymous said...

Sending you hugs. I wish I lived closer to give them in person....

Tammie said...

I can't imagine having 1 child let alone 4 & then leaving them to be with a nanny so I could shop. Those chldren were lucky to have you in their lives. You're probably the only parent they've ever really had.