Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring Thaw 10 miler - North Park

So, I will admit I was sad I wasn't going to have anyone at the race to sag for me. But I got over it once I realized we were doing laps around a lake and that it was really well organized. But back to the beginning....I got up with Jeff...he got ready and left for work...I started my race morning nervousness. The temp dropped considerably from Thursday...I went on my favorite sight and realized it was hat, jacket, long sleeved shirt and long pants. So I started pulling items out of my bag...yeah, I only brought capris. brilliant. Oh well. I grabbed my water, my Garmin, and my ipod. I wasn't sure I was going to use it but I wanted it with me - just in case.

I made my way to North Park and then to the Rose Barn to register. Naturally when you register late they run out of shirts...but I should get directions on when I can pick it up later. Because I didn't get a shirt I didn't need to go back to my car so I put my chip on my shoe and got in line for the potty. (yep, it was a classy race and had indoor potties)...then it was time to head to the start at the Boathouse.

The director was giving directions - I have no idea what was said but as soon as he stopped talking the air gun went off...and then we began right at 10:00am. My race plan was to finish in under 2 hours. I didn't really have a plan for a mile for hour...just run comfortably & have fun.
We ran 2 loops around the lake it was very reminiscent of the lake I run around at Mill Creek for my 5 mile loop. The first loop seemed almost easy I finished it in 55:12. I was feeling good. I was having fun. I plugged in my ipod and let my mind wander. I thought about how lucky I was to be outside enjoying the sun and wind and be with so many people who love to run. I thought of my friend Tom (who has 14 children) and had a horrific car accident on Jan 25th. I thought of his love for running and how he has to get better, for Mary Therese and the kids. Obviously, my time of reflection caused me to not run well and my second loop 58:42 for a total time of 1:53:53. I felt good...I should have worn my new shoes and I am feeling some pain in my knees which I believe to be from the downhills.

I have decided to run the half marathon on March 28th in Pittsburgh - It is called *Just a short Run!...I can't wait. I really enjoyed running through the park. I can't wait to bring Wildcat there...whooohoooo spring is coming soon...

No comments: